The Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development (OVPR&ED) invites tenured or clinical faculty members at The University of Iowa to apply for an administrative research fellowship.
Goals of the Fellowship Program
This fellowship is intended to foster deeper intellectual partnerships between the OVPR&ED and the faculty, provide a development opportunity for faculty members to explore administrative roles and acquire skills and knowledge that will better prepare them to serve in academic administration in the future, and assist the OVPR&ED with special projects across the research enterprise. In addition to working on mutually identified projects, the fellow will participate as a peer in meetings of the OVPR&ED senior staff, the Research Council, and other governance groups.
Targeting Strategic Areas
- 1 Faculty Fellow with research expertise in math/physical sciences or engineering
- 1 Faculty Fellow with research, scholarship and creative activities in arts and humanities
The fellow will work closely with the VPR&ED, and/or other senior leaders in the office on initiatives associated with research administration, research development and economic development/engagement. Examples of initiatives and projects could include:
- Develop an institution-wide broader impacts strategy that can leverage ongoing and emerging research to demonstrate the impact/investment in research funding.
- Lead efforts to develop an informatics core research support facility in conjunction with the informatics initiative.
- Participate in engagement activities that leverage statewide presence in Iowa (mobile museum, ideation for public exhibits, community engagement presentations, etc.)
- Implement an effort to better educate communities members and governmental leaders on the importance of research (Legislators in the Lab series in conduction with federal and state relations)
- Serve as the subject matter expert for emerging interdisciplinary research on campus
- Facilitate idea creation and implementation of large institutional research proposals and projects
- Represent the office on internal and external committees, agencies, and seminars
- Develop a research mentoring and faculty cohort peer mentoring and support program
- Assist faculty with SBIR/STTR applications
- Facilitate a faculty researcher perspective on administrative processes
- Develop data analytics for research and economic development effectiveness
Effort: Up to 40% Effort - 40% academic year salary (+ 2/9th summer salary support as applicable)
Term: Each fellow will serve 2 to 3 years in this role. The fellowship will replace an appropriate portion of the faculty member’s normal teaching or clinical responsibilities.
- A terminal degree in an academic discipline
- Rank of Associate Professor or Professor at the University of Iowa (clinical or tenure track)
- Experience working with senior level collegiate and central administration (preferred)
- Strong record of service to the University of Iowa community
- Strong record demonstrating a high degree of judgment, diplomacy & confidentiality
- Strong record of scholarship in their academic discipline
Requested Application Materials:
- A letter describing their interests in the fellowship
- Two letters of reference (one from their DEO and one from a colleague).
- Application Materials are due Friday, January 31, 2014.
- Review of applications will begin in February. Fellowships will begin summer 2014 or at a mutually agreed-upon date.
- Please send application materials to Cheryl Reardon, Assistant VP for Research and Economic Development (email@example.com).
Faculty members should feel free to contact anyone in the Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development if they have questions or wish further information.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.