Requisition # 63635
Salary – Commensurate
The University of Iowa, a major public research university with nationally acclaimed academic medical center, seeks an experienced leader in human subject’s research administration to serve as the Director of the Human Subjects Office, under the Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development.
This position reports to the Institutional Official and the Executive Primary IRB Chair.
- Will direct the Human Subjects Office that is responsible for oversight and protection of human research subjects in compliance with applicable federal and state regulations, institutional policies and procedures and ethical and professional standards.
- Provide executive leadership, strategic planning, policy and procedure development for the human research protection program.
- Maintain a robust regulatory infrastructure that fosters research.
- Promote best practices, quality improvement, and assures institutional compliance with sponsoring agency obligations.
- Ensure the Human Subjects Office effectively supports, coordinates and serves the needs of the Institutional Review Board(s) (IRB) and the research community. Serve as the technical expert for the IRB, regulatory compliance committee Chair(s).
- Advanced degree in an appropriate scientific discipline.
- Current and relevant research administration experience (typically 5-7 years) including; administrative review process; serving on a regulatory compliance committee.
- Leadership: Demonstrates expert level of proficiency in providing executive leadership, supervision, performance management and administrative oversight for a large unit/department.
- Relationship Management: Demonstrates expert level of proficiency in working with a variety of individuals and groups in a constructive and civil manner while appreciating the unique contribution of individuals.
- Research Ethics & Compliance: Demonstrates expert level knowledge of practices, behaviors, applicable laws, rules and regulations governing research conduct and the ability to demonstrate ethical and compliant behavior in diverse situations; understanding of operational requirements relating to management and implementation of complex regulatory structure.
- Decision Making & Critical Thinking: Demonstrates expert level of organizational skills and independent decision-making ability.
- Demonstrates extensive & current Industry Knowledge of the best practices associated with the unit’s primary mission, role and responsibilities..
- Planning, Tactical & Strategic: Demonstrates expert level of proficiency leading successful organizational transformation, managing change to achieve operational efficiencies, improving customer service, motivating high performing team and strategic planning.
- Applicable professional certification is highly desirable. For example CIP.
- Terminal degree in an appropriate scientific discipline. e.g. DVM, MD, PhD, Pharm.
- Demonstrates experience and working knowledge of university policies regarding the protection of research subjects.
- Proficiency with electronic database development and management.
- For a detailed job description contact Sarah Tallman – email@example.com
Applicants should submit their application through http://jobs.uiowa.edu/63635
The University of Iowa is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.