The Distinguished Achievement in Arts and Humanities Research Award recognizes distinguished achievement in humanities scholarship and work in the creative, visual and performing arts.
Eligibility and Criteria
All current tenure-track, research track or clinical faculty members with a 50 percent or greater appointment are eligible for these awards.
More competitive nominees will address impact in more than one of the criteria listed below:
- Superior scholarship as evidenced by highly cited, influential publications;
- significant publication or creative work (composition, play, monograph, etc,);
- receipt of distinguished awards from one's peers, or professional societies;
- presentation or exhibition of significant work in the creative, visual or performing arts; and/or
- editorial board membership of a peer-reviewed journal; external peer recognition of scholarly or creative accomplishment.
Nomination, Selection, and Announcement Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, NO MORE THAN 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to three confidential letters of endorsement [Letters of support from a variety of constituents, UI and non-UI (e.g., experts in the field), will have a greater impact]. Letters of support should address the criteria listed above.
- CV (up to 10 pages).
The deadline for submissions is February 3, 2017. Recipients will be announced in April.
To begin the submission process, click here and choose "OVPRED Distinguished Achievement in Arts and Humanities Research Award" in the list of open competitions. Sign-in with your Hawk ID and password. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (email@example.com / 319-384-3332) or Marta Gomez (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-384-1291) in the OVPRED well ahead of the deadline.
A selection committee will be appointed to evaluate nominations with respect to the award criteria. The selection committee will comprise leaders from within the Office of Research & Economic Development and Research Council.
Each recipient will receive:
- A prize of $1,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony that highlights research and innovation achievements.
- All recipients will be recognized on our Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.