Recognizes an individual faculty member who has put addressing public needs and direct engagement with the public in the service of improving quality of life through research at the forefront of his or her academic activities.
All current tenure-track, research track or clinical faculty members with a 50 percent or greater appointment are eligible for these awards.
Criteria in selecting recipients for this award: (More competitive nominees will address impact in more than one of the criteria listed.)
- Superior scholarship as evidenced by recent publications in prestigious journals;
- Publication of significant book and/or receipt of a prestigious book prize;
- Receipt of distinguished awards from one's peers, or professional societies;
- Receipt of major external funding;
- Consistent record of highly cited, influential publications;
- Presentation or exhibition of significant work in the creative, visual or performing arts; and/or
- Editorial board membership of a peer-reviewed journal; external peer recognition of scholarly accomplishment (e.g. best paper, best poster).
Add a statement to the support letters - letter of support should address criteria listed above.
Nomination, selection, and announcement process
- Nomination Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, NO MORE THAN 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to three confidential letters of endorsement [Letters of support from a variety of constituents, UI and non-UI (e.g., experts in the field), will have a greater impact].
- CV (up to 10 pages).
- A selection committee will be appointed to evaluate nominations with respect to the award criteria. The selection committee will comprise leaders from within the Office of the Vice President for Research & Economic Development and Research Council.
- Nomination Form
Each recipient will receive:
- A prize of $1,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony that highlights research and innovation achievements (April 28, 2015, at the Sheraton).
- All recipients will be recognized on our Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.