The Distinguished Research Administrator & Research Professional Awards are given annually to recognize staff members at the University of Iowa who performed exceptional service in support of research. This award is co- sponsored by the Office of Research & Economic Development and VP for Finance and Operations.
Distinguished Research Administrators -
Support research by exploring funding opportunities, assisting in grant proposal preparation, submission, post-award administration and operational support.
Distinguished Research Support Professionals -
Provide support for research by conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing results and performing operational duties associated with the laboratory or research program.
Eligibility, criteria, and nominations
All current permanent non-contract Merit Supervisory Exempt/Confidential and Professional and Scientific staff, with a 50 percent or greater appointment, are eligible for this award.
The following criteria will be used when selecting recipients for this award:
- Outstanding contributions that go beyond the ordinary fulfillment of the individual’s position duties.
- Distinguished work that stands out as a set of exceptionally effective contributions to research.
- Direct work experience with researchers that extend over several years (more than 5 years).
- Examples of outstanding contributions in pursuit of research goals (e.g. process improvements, program creation, substantive contributions to obtaining external funding, idea creation, innovation, etc.)
Nominators must complete the nomination form below and include the necessary supporting information. The deadline for submission is February 5, 2016. Nominations that are incomplete or received after the deadline will be returned.
Nomination, selection, and announcement process
- This award process is conducted annually. Nominations must be received no later than February 5, 2016. Recipients will be announced in April.
- Nominations will be evaluated with respect to the award criteria by selection committee comprised of leaders within the Vice President for Research & Economic Development, Grant Accounting, Sponsored Programs, and at least one representative from Staff Council.
- Nomination Form
Each recipient will receive:
- A prize of $1000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony that highlights research and innovation achievements
- All recipients will be recognized on our Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.