This award honors doctoral graduate student research performance and scholarly activity that is recognized as highly original work and makes a significant contribution to the field. Eligible students shall have completed a minimum of three years of graduate work in the current program of study and post comp.
- Research accomplishments during the applicant’s current program of study,
- Quality of research and scholarly activity, and
- Quality of a research presentation to the selection committee. The top three candidates in each broad discipline area are required to give a research presentation to the selection committee. Two awards, one in each broad discipline area, will be made each year.
- In odd years the disciplines of, Biology & Life Sciences and Humanities & Fine Arts are eligible
- In even years, Mathematical & Physical Sciences and Social Sciences would be eligible
** We are accepting submissions, by January 24, 2014, for those in the Mathematical & Physical Sciences and Social Sciences disciplines.
Nomination, selection, and announcement process
- This award process is conducted annually in partnership with the Research Council and the Graduate College.
- Nomination Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, NO MORE THAN 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to three confidential letters of endorsement [Letters of support from a variety of constituents, UI and non-UI (e.g., experts in the field), will have a greater impact].
- CV (up to 10 pages).
- A selection committee will be appointed to evaluate nominations with respect to the award criteria. The selection committee will comprise leaders from within the Office of the Vice President for Research & Economic Development, the Research Council and the Graduate College
- Nomination Form
Each recipient will receive:
- A prize of $1,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony that highlights research and innovation achievements (April 3, 2014 at Hotel Vetro).
- All recipients will be recognized on the Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.