To Support, Celebrate, and Connect
In Fall 2013, the Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development joined with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to establish a Humanities Advisory Board, which will serve as a direct line of communication between faculty in humanities disciplines and UI administration.
The Humanities Advisory Board, comprising 11 faculty and 3 ex-officio members who will meet twice per semester, is charged with advising the Vice President for Research and Economic Development and the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences on humanities issues including: leveraging existing and future resources in support of scholarship in the humanities; raising the visibility of UI humanities programs in Iowa and beyond; and exploring new forms of scholarship and possible areas of interdisciplinary research among the arts, humanities and sciences.
The board is co-chaired by Craig Gibson, Professor of Classics, and Teresa Mangum, Director of the Obermann Center for Advanced Studies and an Associate Professor of Gender, Women’s and Sexuality Studies. Each will serve a three-year term.
Chosen as emerging thought leaders in the humanities on campus, the board’s members, who will serve two- to three-year terms, are
- Russell Ganim, Division Director and Professor of World Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- Ali Hasan, Assistant Professor of Philosophy
- Lena Hill, Associate Professor of English
- Omar Valerio-Jiménez, Associate Professor of History
- Rebekah Kowal, Associate Professor of Dance in the Division of Performing Arts
- Christopher Merrill, Professor of English and Director of the International Writing Program
- Kristy Nabhan-Warren, Associate Professor of Religious Studies
- Glenn Penny, Associate Professor of History
- Jonathan Wilcox, Chair and Professor of English
- April 22, 2014, 3:30-5:00pm
- March 12, 2014, 3:30-5:00pm
- February 18, 2014, 3:30-5:00pm
- October 29, 2013, 2:30-4:00pm
- September 5, 2013, 2:00-3:30pm