IATL Flood Updates—2013

Iowa Flood Information System - maps and up-to-date information about community-specific flood conditions across the state, is available at ifis.iowafloodcenter.org

A version of this page for 2014 flood information is also available.

The UI Communication and Marketing team has established an Iowa Now hub as well as Twitter access for ongoing updates:

Overview

On Thursday, May 30, 2013, the U.S. Corps of Engineers announced plans to increase outflow from the Coralville reservoir to 14,000 cubic feet per second (cfs) later Thursday, to 17,000 cfs Friday, and potentially up to the maximum 20,000 cfs over the weekend and early next week to keep up with the inflow from the Iowa River Basin. Even with those measures and no additional rainfall, the Corps predicts water will go over the 712-foot spillway Tuesday, June 4 by as much as 1.5 feet.
 

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

  • Outflow is 18.3K cfs; 19.6K cfs at Burlington Street.  20K cfs is coming into the reservoir now but is dropping fast.  Reservoir level has peaked with the current level holding steady at 708.44 ft. 
  • The spillway level is 712 ft. and the reservoir is projected to be below 708 ft. by Friday.
  • No heavy rain is predicted for the next few days with forecasts showing 1/2 inch or less.
  • Rain is predicted for late Saturday/Sunday and could be as much as 1 inch in a one-day period.  
  • Pumps are keeping up but there are some minor seepage issues as is expected.
     

Monday, June 3, 2013

  • The University of Iowa is operating normally. IATL daily flood briefings have been canceled.  If the need to meet daily occurs, an invitation will be sent via email to IATL Flood ListServ.  Please see Genette (114 IATL), if you have questions and/or concerns.
  • All IATL entrances remain open at this time and business is ongoing as usual.
  • Buildings are being monitored closely. There is a small amount of seepage that is normal and expected.  Pumps are working as planned. 
  • We want to remind everyone that the pumps ran even during the drought.  Having the pumps run now is normal.
  • Opening dam gates to 19.4 cfs today; inflow is 30k cfs
  • Projected crest on June 6 is 710'; spillway elevation is 712'
  • Reservoir is projected to drop 1' per day with no new rain events starting around June 8.
  • Forecast: dry for next 24 hours; Tuesday to Wednesday: .25-.75" possible.
  • HESCO Barriers: installation around IMU, IATL, West river bank and other areas are being caught up.
     

Sunday, June 2, 2013

  • All IATL entrances remain open at this time and business is ongoing as usual.
  • Caution tape at entrances are in place to hinder pedestrian traffic on and around river area.
  • Crossing of boundaries by IATL entrance is permissible.
     

Saturday, June 1, 2013

  • Status update is similar to 5-31.
  • Business as usual.
  • Hesco will be finished around IATL today.  Access will remain open to IATL dock area and cooper shell area.
  • Opening dam gates to 18k cfs today; will increase flow to 19K cfs Sunday and then 20K cfs on Monday.
     

Friday, May 31, 2013

  • Better outlook today -- less rain fell yesterday and no more than .25 to .5 inch expected today.  Next rain event: Tues/Wed next week.
  • Dam outflow will go from 15k to 17k cfs at 1 p.m. Outlook is better than yesterday. Expected peak at 712.1 ft. Spillway is at 712 ft.
  • IMT is protecting buildings to 24,000 cfs. Expected cfs to be 22,500 or less.  At this point it does not appear to be the flood of 2008. 2008 flood was at 40,000 cfs levels.
  • Business as usual in IATL. We continue to monitor the situation daily.
  • Hescos – 30% completed – complete by noon on June 1st.
  • Tom Boggess is the faculty representative and will provide input to Dan Reed.
  • Packing materials, boxes, etc. are available from Genette.   Dan Gerot went through packing instructions.
  • Jon Yates, Chemistry IT Support consultant provide instructions on off campus access to IT.
     

Thursday, May 30, 2013

  • Daily meeting at 1:30 pm in 104 IATL
  • The U.S. Corps of Engineers announced plans to increase outflow from the Coralville reservoir to 14,000 cubic feet per second (cfs) later Thursday, to 17,000 cfs Friday, and potentially up to the maximum 20,000 cfs over the weekend and early next week to keep up with the inflow from the Iowa River Basin. Even with those measures and no additional rainfall, the Corps predicts water will go over the 712-foot spillway Tuesday, June 4 by as much as 1.5 feet.
  • Dan Gerot from Hawkeye Moving Company plans to delivery boxes, packing materials, etc on Friday. A staging area will be identified on each floor.
  • In addition, the wooden crates will be staged close to labs in the event the sensitive equipment needs to be crated.
  • Hesco Barriers will be around IATL by the end of the day on Friday, May 31st.  There will be an opening to evacuate equipment if the need arises.
  • Packing supplies (boxes, packing materials, desiccant, etc.) have been ordered and will be delivered Friday, May 31.
  • Communication will be done via the daily meeting as well as email/phone notification.   Please make sure that Genette has up to date information. 
  • Departments should begin to identify staff that could be reassigned to help with the IATL move.