The University of Iowa has combined its Museum of Natural History and Old Capitol Museum, under one joint administration, into the Pentacrest Museums, so that the two can collaborate in enhancing the UI's focus on cultural and environmental diversity. Each museum still maintains a distinct and separate entity, with its own personality and mission.
Museum of Natural History
Founded in 1858 by a legislative resolution of the state's General Assembly, the University of Iowa Museum Of Natural History is the oldest university museum—and second-oldest museum of any kind— west of the Mississippi River. Many of the museum's collections rank among those of the top museums in North America. http://www.uiowa.edu/~nathist/
Old Capitol Museum
For more than 150 years, Old Capitol has represented the pioneering spirit of Iowa and The University of Iowa. The last capitol of the Iowa territory, it served as Iowa's first state capitol from 1846 to 1857. When the state government moved to Des Moines in 1857, Old Capitol served as the University's first building and the founding place of many departments.
In 1976, Old Capitol became a National Historic Landmark and public museum. After fours years of recovery from a devastating fire in 2001, Old Capitol Museum reopened in May 2006 as a vital cultural and educational resource for more than 30,000 visitors, researchers, and schoolchildren each year. http://www.uiowa.edu/~oldcap/