Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) is a program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and named after former Cleveland US Rep. Louis Stokes who served as a leading figure in Unites States Congress in matters concerning civil rights, equality, and social and economic justice.
The long-term goal of the LSAMP program is to increase the number of under-represented minority students who enter science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) professions and who earn doctorates in STEM fields. LSAMP Alliances across the country are designed to provide support services at many levels to help interested students succeed in STEM majors and careers and to provide networks with other LSAMP Scholars.
The Iowa Illinois Nebraska STEM Partnership for Innovation in Research and Education (IINSPIRE) is an NSF LSAMP alliance among 16 two-year and four-year colleges and universities working together to attract the states’ growing underrepresented minority (URM) population into STEM fields and to attract students from other regions to STEM education opportunities in Iowa, Illinois, and Nebraska.
The benefits of being an IINSPIRE LSAMP Research Intern include:
- Funding support toward participation in academic or summer research experiences or internship.
- Funding for research supplies.
- Funding for travel to conferences and professional meetings to present your research work.
Students who meet the criteria listed below are eligible to participate in IINSPIRE LSAMP sponsored undergraduate research.
- Attend an IINSPIRE LSAMP Alliance institution
- Meet IINSPIRE LSAMP Eligibility Requirements (U.S. citizen or permanent resident, have a college GPA of 2.5 or high school GPA of 2.7 and be a member of an underrepresented group in STEM, including African-Americans, Alaskan Natives, American Indians, Hispanic Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Native Pacific Islanders)
- Major in Chemistry, Computer and Information Science and Engineering, Engineering, Geosciences, Life Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Physics and Astonomy
- Attend IINSPIRE LSAMP Events at one of the IINSPIRE LSAMP Alliance colleges/universities, such as the IINSPIRE LSAMP Annual Conference.
- Become an IINSPIRE LSAMP Scholar
- Apply directly to one of the Academic Year or Summer Research Programs for undergraduate students available at the University of Iowa
Complete the IINSPIRE LSAMP Application for Research Funding
- You MUST complete both applications
- IINSPIRE other students by becoming a peer mentor to other IINSPIRE LSAMP students.
- Serve as a student leader at IINSPIRE LSAMP events.
- IINSPIRE other students to become an IINSPIRE LSAMP student
Student Research programs at the UI campus
- CIC Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP)
- Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates (ICRU)
- EPSCOR Student Internships
- Interdisciplinary Summer Undergraduate Research Program
- Iowa Lakeside Laboratory
- Biochemistry Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program
- Dewey Stuit Fund for Undergraduate Research
- Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) in Microbiology
- Honors Research Practicum
- Summer Undergraduate Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) Research Program
- Iowa Biosciences Advantage (IBA)
- Interdisciplinary Summer Undergraduate Research Program (Genetics, Immunology, Molecular & Cellular Biology, Neuroscience)
- Hydroscience & Engineering (IIHR)
Alliance Campus Directors
The University of Iowa LSAMP Campus Directors are:
Dr. Lori Adams
Department of Biology
University of Iowa
108 BB (office); 214 BBE (lab)
Iowa City, IA 52242
319-335-1322 (office); 319-335-2072 (lab)
Prof. Vincent Rodgers
Department of Physics and Astronomy
The University of Iowa
Iowa CIty, IA 52242.
319-335-1219 - Phone
Additional contact information:
Dr. Marta Gomez
Research Support Manager
Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development
2672 University Capitol Centre
Iowa City, IA 52242
(319) 384-1291 - Phone
(319) 335-2104 - Fax
The UI LSAMP Advisory Committee:
Professor Tonya Peeples (Engineering), and
Robert Kirby (Director ICRU).