The University of Iowa (UI), Office of the Vice President for Research & Economic Development (OVPR&ED) seeks a highly motivated individual to serve as the Senior Industry Manager. This position will serve as a project leader working directly with Iowa companies to address their technical and business problems. The individual is expected to have the ability to effectively apply technical concepts and analysis and provide clients with innovative solutions. The Senior Industry Manager will also be responsible for connecting Iowa companies to University of Iowa faculty, colleges, centers and institutes and students to foster partnerships that are mutually beneficial to both the company and university.
The Senior Industry Manager will work collaboratively with multiple constituent partners within ICE as well as other outreach centers and institutes across the University of Iowa campus to foster industry engagement and economic development.
The University of Iowa is an internationally prominent public research university. Sponsored extramural funding in FY12 reached $438.1 M. Nearly 70% of this funding is generated by the UI Carver College of Medicine and health science campus. In 2012, the University of Iowa ranked 15th in NIH funding for public medical schools. The University has a total operating budget in excess of $2B, enrolls 30,500 students in 11 colleges including Medicine, Liberals Arts and Sciences, Nursing, Public Health, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Law, Engineering and Education (of which 20,500 are undergraduate students). The UI also employs 15,000 faculty and staff and operates a nationally regarded University Hospital and major interdisciplinary research centers across a variety of disciplines. The University of Iowa is located in Iowa City, a University community of about 70,000 with a cosmopolitan atmosphere, exceptional cultural resources, excellent public schools and libraries, and outstanding medical care. For additional information about the University and the Iowa City community, see http://www.uiowa.edu/homepage/about-UI/index.html.
- A Master’s degree in computer science, computer/software engineering or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of technical and/or strategy experience in areas such as information solutions, advanced manufacturing or biotechnology.
- Working knowledge of accepted program/project management techniques.
- Demonstrated experience engaging with clients in applying scientific/technical principles to solve “real world” problems.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Experience in a highly responsive service organization in support of the research enterprise.
- Must be able to travel across Iowa (driver’s license mandatory) and nationally for industry engagement and project management.
- Experience in creating and managing budgets.
- Experience with grant writing to support programs and services.
For additional information and to apply online, please visit: http://jobs.uiowa.edu/ (ReqID 63020).
The University of Iowa is an Equal Employment Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.