The purpose of this award is to recognize research, scholarship, or creative expression conducted within the past three-year period that advances our understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Information about how the University of Iowa defines diversity, equity, and inclusion, is available on the DEI website. This definition is offered as a more detailed explanation of what is meant by the terms "diversity, equity, and inclusion" and is not a limitation on the scope of faculty research/work in that realm.
Eligibility and Criteria
All current tenure-track, research-track, clinical-track, or instructional track faculty members with a 50 percent or greater appointment are eligible for nomination. Team nominations are allowed.
Self-nominations are not allowed. Deans, DEOs, department chairs/heads, supervisors, and other senior faculty or staff may serve as nominators.
The nominee(s) have engaged in research, scholarship, or creative activity to enhance our understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion within the past three-year period as demonstrated by one or more of the following:
- Receipt of distinguished awards from one's peers or professional societies;
- Presentation or exhibition of significant work in the creative, visual or performing arts;
- Superior scholarship as evidenced by a consistent record of publications in prestigious journals;
- Publication of significant book(s) and/or receipt of prestigious book prize(s);
- Consistent record of major external funding;
- Consistent record of highly cited, influential publications; and/or
- Editorial board membership of a peer-reviewed journal; external peer recognition of scholarly accomplishment (e.g. best paper, best poster).
Nomination and Selection Process
- Letter of Nomination: Attach a brief description, no more than 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to three confidential letters of endorsement. Letters of support from a variety of constituents, UI and non-UI (e.g., experts in the field), will have a greater impact. Letters of support should be no more than one page in length and address the criteria listed above.
- Nominee's CV (up to 10 pages)
Late materials will not be accepted. A selection committee comprised of leaders from within the Office of the Vice President for Research, Division of Equity and Inclusion, and UI faculty will be appointed to evaluate nominations.
Submission Process and Deadline
The deadline for submissions is 11:59 p.m.Tuesday, February 7, 2023. Recipients will be announced in April.
CLICK HERE to begin the submission process. Click "Apply" and sign-in with your Hawk ID and password through the blue "University of Iowa Login" button. If you have problems or questions, contact Lauren Galliart (email@example.com) in the OVPR well ahead of the deadline.
- A prize of $1,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized on a website, press release, social media, and in other virtual ways.