Training to accelerate the startup process
The John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center provides hands-on entrepreneurial training to early-stage startups through UI Venture School and Six-Week Start-Up.
- UI Venture School is a six-week intensive training program designed to accelerate the startup process while increasing your chance for success. Venture School emphasizes real-world entrepreneurship through experiential learning, a flipped classroom and immediate feedback. Venture School is ideal for high-tech, high-growth companies.
- Six-Week Start-Up is an exciting six-session program for aspiring entrepreneurs and early-stage ventures to get their business idea off the ground and running. This program focuses on a step-by-step process for developing a plan to successfully launch a new sustainable venture or grow an existing start-up. Six-Week Start-Up is perfect entrepreneurs in retail, food, service, or non-profit industries.
Help for small businesses
The Iowa Small Business Development Center can unlock the potential of any business by providing business expertise normally reserved for large, established companies. Our one-on-one, customized counseling is free and our workshops are extremely affordable and practical.
The John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center has a variety of programs in place to assist early-stage ventures and growing companies.
- The Institute for International Business is dedicated to advancing knowledge and international skills in business and educational communities in Iowa through research, education, and consultation on international business issues.
- Entrepreneurial Management Institute provides business consulting services to Iowa companies. The purpose of this program is three-fold: 1) solve problems for Iowa businesses, 2) educate professionals for Iowa’s future, and 3) provide recruitment opportunities for Iowa employers and students.
- Iowa Innovation Associates provides internship opportunities to qualifying UI students at Iowa businesses, start-ups, and academic and research organizations. Internships are selected based on the organization’s needs and the student’s field of study and career goals.
Support for University of Iowa startups
The UIVentures program assists university inventors in creating new ventures based on their research. The program provides assistance in many areas, including:
- Business Creation
The John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center (JPEC) is committed to serving students interested in starting a business. Specifically, JPEC’s UI Student Ventures program provides a framework to ignite passions, discover opportunities, and launch and grow new ventures. Through this program, students have the opportunity to engage in the UI entrepreneurial ecosystem, take academic coursework, receive entrepreneurial training, participate in competitions, and receive hands-on mentoring and coaching.
Space for new and expanding businesses
UIResearch Park leases building sites and space to growing companies. Located in Coralville, Iowa, it is home to a world class business incubator program that has nurtured nearly 100 UI spinouts and other new ventures since its start in 1984.