The Distinguished Research Professional Award is given annually to recognize staff members at the University of Iowa who performed exceptional service in support of research by conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing results and performing operational duties associated with a laboratory or research program.
This award is co- sponsored by the Office of Research & Economic Development and VP for Finance and Operations.
Eligibility and Criteria
All current permanent non-contract Merit Supervisory Exempt/Confidential and Professional and Scientific staff, with a 50 percent or greater appointment, are eligible for this award. The following criteria will be used when selecting recipients for this award:
- Outstanding contributions that go beyond the ordinary fulfillment of the individual’s position duties.
- Distinguished work that stands out as a set of exceptionally effective contributions to research.
- Direct work experience with researchers that extend over several years (more than 5 years).
- Examples of outstanding contributions in pursuit of research goals (e.g. process improvements, program creation, substantive contributions to obtaining external funding, idea creation, innovation, etc.)
Nomination and Selection Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, NO MORE THAN 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to two confidential letters of support (letters from a variety of constituents will have a greater impact). The letter of support should be no more than one page in length and address the criteria listed above.
- CV/Resume/Work History (up to 2 pages).
A selection committee comprised of leaders from within the Office of Research & Economic Development, Grant Accounting Office, Division of Sponsored Programs, and at least one representative from Staff Council will be appointed to evaluate nominations.
Submission Process and Deadline
The deadline for submissions is February 5, 2018. Recipients will be announced in April.
To begin the submission process, click here. Click "Apply" and sign-in with your Hawk ID and password through the blue "University of Iowa Login" button. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-384-3332) or Marta Gomez (email@example.com / 319-384-1291) in the OVPRED well ahead of the deadline.
- A prize of $1000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony that highlights research and innovation achievements.
- All recipients will be recognized on our Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.