The Distinguished Research Professional Award is given annually to recognize staff members who performed exceptional service in support of research at the University of Iowa by conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing results and performing operational duties associated with a laboratory or research program.
This award is co- sponsored by the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) and VP for Finance and Operations.
Eligibility and Criteria
All current permanent non-contract Merit Supervisory Exempt/Confidential and Professional and Scientific staff, with a 50 percent or greater appointment, are eligible for nomination. Self-nominations are not allowed. Deans, DEOs, department chairs/heads, supervisors, and other senior faculty or staff may serve as nominators.
The following criteria will be used when selecting recipients for this award:
- Examples of outstanding contributions in pursuit of research goals (e.g., process improvements, program creation, substantive contributions to obtaining external funding, idea creation, innovation, etc.).
- Distinguished work that stands out as a set of exceptionally effective contributions to research.
- Direct work experience with University of Iowa researchers that extends over several years (7 years or more).
- Outstanding contributions that go beyond the ordinary fulfillment of the individual’s position duties.
Nomination and Selection Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, no more than 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments. Give specific examples.
- Up to two confidential letters of support. Letters of support should be no more than one page in length and address the criteria listed above.
- Nominee's CV/Resume/Work History (up to 2 pages).
A selection committee comprised of leaders from within the Office of the Vice President for Research, Grant Accounting Office, Division of Sponsored Programs, and at least one representative from Staff Council will be appointed to evaluate nominations.
Submission Process and Deadline
The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, February 2, 2021. Recipients will be announced in April.
CLICK HERE to begin the submission process. Click "Apply" and sign-in with your Hawk ID and password through the blue "University of Iowa Login" button. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (email@example.com / 319-384-3332) in the OVPR well ahead of the deadline.
- A prize of $1000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized on a website, press release, social media, and in other virtual ways. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, winners will not be announced at an in-person event.