Recipients of the Faculty/Staff Startup of the Year Award exhibit passion, devotion and innovation in planning and deploying their startup and have either made significant progress over the years, or have made an impact as determined by jobs created, revenue generated, or other metrics. For the purpose of this award, a startup is defined as a breakout company that has been formed within the last 3 years or less and founded on University of Iowa intellectual property.
This award process is conducted in partnership with the Office of the Vice President for Research and the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center.
Any company started by a faculty member or staff member is encouraged to apply. The company must be based in Iowa. Candidate must be an owner of the company and employed by the University of Iowa, on a full-time basis, at the time the company was formed.
Nomination Process and Deadline
**(Deadline extended to Tuesday, February 12.)**
The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, February 5, 2019. Awards will be announced in April.
Step 1 - Submit Nominee Information
Step 2 - Executive Summary
Please upload a one-page executive summary, outlining the areas below using the link above. All information will be kept strictly confidential by the selection committee.
- Executive Overview
- Date founded (Month/Year)
- Describe the company and its product(s) and/or service(s)
- Revenue (to date or for 2018)
- Investments to date
- Market Assessment
- Market size
- Target market
- Competitive advantage
- Achievements and milestones
- Describe the business achievements & milestones reached
- Next Steps
- Describe the future growth plans for the business over the next 12 months
- Management Team
- List and briefly describe the backgrounds of key owners and any other management team members
- Outside boards and advisors