To Support, Celebrate, and Connect
In Fall 2013, the Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development joined with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to establish a Humanities Advisory Board, which will serve as a direct line of communication between faculty in humanities disciplines and UI administration.
The Humanities Advisory Board meets two-three times per semester and is charged with advising the Vice President for Research and Economic Development and the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences on humanities issues including: leveraging existing and future resources in support of scholarship in the humanities; raising the visibility of UI humanities programs in Iowa and beyond; and exploring new forms of scholarship and possible areas of interdisciplinary research among the arts, humanities and sciences.
The board is co-chaired by Brenda Longfellow, Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies, Art & Art History, and Diane Jeske, Professor, Philosophy.
Chosen as emerging thought leaders in the humanities on campus, the board’s members, who will serve two- to three-year terms, are
- Marc Armstrong, Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (Ex-officio)
- Amy Chen, English & American Literature Librarian (Term expires 06/2019)
- Elizabeth Heineman, Professor, History (Term expires 06/2021)
- Diane Jeske (Co-Chair), Professor, Philosophy (Term expires 06/2020)
- Tom Keegan, Director, Digital Research & Publishing (Term expires 06/2019)
- Rob Ketterer, Professor, Classics (Term expires 06/2019)
- Brenda Longfellow (Co-Chair), Associate Professor, Art History (Term expires 06/2019)
- Teresa Mangum, Director of the Obermann Center for Advanced Studies, Professor of Gender, Women’s and Sexuality Studies (Ex-officio)
- Raymond Mentzer, Professor, Religious Studies (Term expires 06/2021)
- Christopher Merrill, Professor of English and Director of the International Writing Program (Term expires 06/2019)
- Kathleen Newman, Associate Professor, Spanish & Portuguese (Term expires 06/2021)
- Ann Ricketts, Assistant Vice President for Research (Ex-officio)
- Nick Yablon, Associate Professor, American Studies (Term expires 06/2020)
- Monday, September 10, 2018
- Monday, November 5, 2018
- Monday, December 10, 2018