To Support, Celebrate, and Connect
In Fall 2013, the Office of the Vice President for Research joined with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to establish a Humanities Advisory Board, which will serve as a direct line of communication between faculty in humanities disciplines and UI administration.
The Humanities Advisory Board meets two-three times per semester and is charged with advising the Vice President for Research and the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences on humanities issues including: leveraging existing and future resources in support of scholarship in the humanities; raising the visibility of UI humanities programs in Iowa and beyond; and exploring new forms of scholarship and possible areas of interdisciplinary research among the arts, humanities and sciences.
The board is co-chaired by Brenda Longfellow, Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies, Art & Art History, and Diane Jeske, Professor, Philosophy.
Chosen as emerging thought leaders in the humanities on campus, the board’s members, who will serve two- to three-year terms, are
- Marc Armstrong, Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (Ex-officio)
- Amy Chen, English & American Literature Librarian (Term expires 06/2019)
- Elizabeth Heineman, Professor, History (Term expires 06/2021)
- Diane Jeske (Co-Chair), Professor, Philosophy (Term expires 06/2020)
- Tom Keegan, Director, Digital Research & Publishing (Term expires 06/2019)
- Rob Ketterer, Professor, Classics (Term expires 06/2019)
- Brenda Longfellow (Co-Chair), Associate Professor, Art History (Term expires 06/2019)
- Teresa Mangum, Director of the Obermann Center for Advanced Studies, Professor of Gender, Women’s and Sexuality Studies (Ex-officio)
- Raymond Mentzer, Professor, Religious Studies (Term expires 06/2021)
- Christopher Merrill, Professor of English and Director of the International Writing Program (Term expires 06/2019)
- Kathleen Newman, Associate Professor, Spanish & Portuguese (Term expires 06/2021)
- Ann Ricketts, Assistant Vice President for Research (Ex-officio)
- Nick Yablon, Associate Professor, American Studies (Term expires 06/2020)
- Thursday, February 14, 2019
- Thursday, March 14, 2019
- Thursday, April 11, 2019