IFI grants are awarded with the understanding that recipients will make their projects a top priority during the grant period. Requests for extensions generally will not be considered by the Office of the VP for Research (OVPR) without appropriate justification.
Examples of justification for extensions:
- Additional time beyond the established expiration date is required to ensure adequate completion of the originally approved project, e.g.,
- to repeat tests to obtain results lost due to a catastrophic event,
- lack of success in locating a graduate student with suitable capabilities,
- extensive delay in production or shipment of key equipment or supply items,
- transfer of a key project participant,
- time lost due to illness, accident, or significant family event of a key project participant.
The fact that funds remain at the expiration of the grant is not, in itself, sufficient justification for an extension.
To request an extension for an IFI award beyond the original end date shown in the award letter, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org describing the rationale for the extension with a revised budget of expenses remaining and expenditures requested. Contact Cheryl Ridgeway (email@example.com / 319-384-3332) with questions.