The Office of Animal Resources, which provides husbandry and veterinary care of all research animals at the University of Iowa, invites applications for the position of Clinical Veterinarian. Our growing animal care program provides a great opportunity to demonstrate and enhance your skill as a clinician and interact with research staff working on a variety of medical and behavioral research. The University of Iowa offers competitive salary and excellent benefits. See Why Iowa for more information about why UI may be the right career choice for you and why you will enjoy working and living in Iowa City.
In this position, you will:
- Manage and perform duties related to the veterinary care of various animal species including rodents, farm animals and aquatic species.
- Manage preventive medicine programs including rodent sentinel, vendor surveillance and quarantine programs.
- Manage programs for pre- and postoperative care, anesthesia, analgesia, and euthanasia.
- Provide guidance of protocol development for compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Perform veterinary review, including grant comparison, of protocols submitted to the IACUC.
- Participate in IACUC facility/programmatic evaluations.
- Provide training to research and caretaker staff.
- Supervise veterinary technician staff.
- A Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine
- Active veterinary license in at least one state.
- Effective communication skills to develop and maintain relationships and to influence compliance with policies and regulations.
- Demonstrated job related experience with and/or commitment to diversity in the work/academic environment.
- Proficient in computer software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and various database systems.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to meet and maintian UI Fleet Safety driving requirements
- Current experience in Laboratory Animal Medicine through a formal residency program or experience route; typically, two (2) years (if formal residency program completed).
- Familiarity with current USDA and PHS regulations, and the AAALAC International accreditation process.
- Experience with a wide variety of laboratory animal species and in their housing from conventional to barrier to bio-containment facilities.
- Knowledge of university policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Experience with animal surgical suite management including USDA and non-regulated animals.
For information about the Office of Animal Resources, please visit our web site http://animal.research.uiowa.edul/
Applicants please apply for this position through The University of Iowa’s web site at: http://jobs.uiowa.edu. (Requisition # 70440)
Salary Range - $75376 to Commensurate – salary with experience to Commensurate
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.