Marketing and Licensing Your Invention
We will create a single page marketing document for the disclosed work, and include it in our list of Available Technologies. That document is meant to describe the technical as well as market based advantages of the invention. We will use this document as we reach out to suitable partners identified by UIRF staff.
Industry representatives will often contact you as well, particularly at conferences, or after publications. They may be crucial contacts that serve as market entry points. Once they contact you, potential partners or the UIRF may request confidentiality, material transfer, or option agreements be put into place so that the technology can be more fully evaluated prior to licensing. The UIRF will negotiate and execute these agreements.
If a company is interested in a licensing a technology, the UIRF will negotiate the terms of the license.
We are looking for industry partners who:
- Have a desire to work to the mutual benefit of all, and will partner with us to achieve this
- Demonstrate the capability and desire to develop nascent and early-stage university technologies and bring them to market
- Submit a viable plan and commitment to commercialize a licensed technology
- Indicate they will share the potential commercial success of the technology with the UIRF through distribution of royalties, equity, and developmental milestone revenues
- License Fee - This is the initial fee that a licensee pays when a new license agreement is executed. May be in the form or cash or equity.
- Patent Reimbursement - By protecting rights to the technology, the UIRF will have incurred various patent costs. In the case of an exclusive license, it is expected that a licensee reimburse the UIRF for all of these costs, and pay for ongoing patent costs as well. Partners with exclusive licenses in only certain fields may be asked to reimburse the UIRF up to a certain percentage of total costs.
- Developmental Milestone & Payments - For technologies that involve longer or more conditional development phases to reach marketability, the UIRF generally requests that partners provide some type of developmental blueprint to outline the various development phases. Certain points in the development process are identified as milestones and may involve a payment to the UIRF. In this way, the UIRF can link developmental successes directly to financial payments.
- Royalties - Royalties are payments made to the UIRF as a percentage of product sales. The UIRF only receives royalty payments when our partners generate income from the sale of products.