The Distinguished Research Administrator Award is given annually to recognize staff members at the University of Iowa who performed exceptional service in support of research by exploring funding opportunities, assisting in grant proposal preparation, submission, post-award administration and operational support.
This award is co- sponsored by the Office of Research & Economic Development and VP for Finance and Operations.
Eligibility and Criteria
All current permanent non-contract Merit Supervisory Exempt/Confidential and Professional and Scientific staff, with a 50 percent or greater appointment, are eligible for this award. The following criteria will be used when selecting recipients for this award:
- Outstanding contributions that go beyond the ordinary fulfillment of the individual’s position duties.
- Distinguished work that stands out as a set of exceptionally effective contributions to research.
- Direct work experience with researchers that extend over several years (more than 5 years).
- Examples of outstanding contributions in pursuit of research goals (e.g. process improvements, program creation, substantive contributions to obtaining external funding, idea creation, innovation, etc.)
Nomination, Selection, and Announcement Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, NO MORE THAN 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to two confidential letters of support (letters from a variety of constituents will have a greater impact). Letters should be no more than one page in length and address the outstanding contributions to the research enterprise at the University of Iowa and the criteria listed above.
- CV/Resume/Work History (up to 2 pages).
The deadline for submissions has been extended to February 10, 2017. Recipients will be announced in April.
To begin the submission process, click here and choose "OVPRED Distinguished Research Administrator Award" in the list of open competitions. Sign-in with your Hawk ID and password. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-384-3332) or Marta Gomez (email@example.com / 319-384-1291) in the OVPRED well ahead of the deadline.
Nominations will be evaluated with respect to the award criteria by selection committee comprised of leaders within the Vice President for Research & Economic Development, Grant Accounting, Sponsored Programs, and at least one representative from Staff Council.
Each recipient will receive:
- A prize of $1000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony that highlights research and innovation achievements
- All recipients will be recognized on our Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.