The Faculty Communicating Ideas Award recognizes excellence in communication about research and scholarship in the sciences and humanities and the study of creative, visual and performing arts to a general audience directly or via print and electronic media. Nominees must be the subjects or creators of original works that address their area of expertise for non-peer audiences in at least one of the following areas: Book; Film/Radio/TV; Magazine/Newspaper; Online; and Public Engagement.
Nominees need not have participated in the summer Communicating Ideas workshop sponsored by the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) to be eligible.
Eligibility and Criteria
All tenure-track, research-track, or clinical-track faculty members with a 50 percent or greater appointment. Self-nominations are not allowed. Deans, DEOs, department chairs/heads, supervisors, and other senior faculty or staff may serve as nominators.
The work or activity submitted should:
- Be accessible and appeal to a broad, public audience;
- Demonstrate clarity, creativity, originality, and accuracy;
- Address issues and/or advances in science, engineering, medicine, the humanities, or the arts;
- Cover topics that have an impact on society; and
- Have occurred or been published, broadcast, or released between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019, in the United States and published/broadcast in English.
In the case of public engagement activities, submissions should include evidence of the activity and its content (copy of public remarks, media coverage, etc.)
Material primarily intended for children, reference books, and textbooks are not eligible for consideration.
Nomination and Selection Process
- Letter of Nomination: Attach a brief description, no more than 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- One confidential letter of endorsement from either a UI or non-UI (e.g., expert in the field) source. The letter of support should be no more than one page in length and address the criteria listed above.
- CV (up to 10 pages).
- Supporting materials (media clippings, published books, videos, etc.) that serve as examples of effective, accessible communication related to the nominee's area(s) of expertise.
A selection committee comprised of leaders from within the Office of the Vice President for Research, the Office of Strategic Communication, and UI faculty will be appointed to evaluate nominations.
Submission Process and Deadline
The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, February 4, 2020. Recipients will be announced in April.
CLICK HERE to begin the submission process. Click "Apply" and sign-in with your Hawk ID and password through the blue "University of Iowa Login" button. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (email@example.com / 319-384-3332) in the OVPR well ahead of the deadline.
- A prize of $1,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony that highlights research and innovation achievements.
- All recipients will be recognized on our Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.