The Innovation in Safety Award (Student) celebrates exceptional and ground-breaking innovations that advance safety at the University of Iowa.
All current students enrolled in a degree program are eligible for nomination. Self-nominations are not allowed. Deans, DEOs, department chairs/heads, supervisors, and other senior faculty and staff may serve as nominators.
The successful nominee will:
- Have developed and/or implemented an innovative program or process to significantly improve UI safety culture. The innovative program or process should demonstrate a creative change in safety operation, have the potential for sustainability, and be educational.
- Demonstrate the shared commitment to safe and responsible conduct in a workplace setting.
Nomination and Selection Process
- Letter of Nomination: Attach a brief statement of no more than one page in length describing the nominee’s safety innovation, the applicability of the innovation to the broader campus, and its effectiveness.
- One confidential letter of endorsement. The letter of support should be no more than one page in length and address the nominee’s safety innovation, the applicability of the innovation to the broader campus, and its effectiveness.
- Description of the safety innovation (up to 3 pages), prepared by the nominee. Include details of the innovation safety plan that has been implemented, demonstrate the efficacy of the plan or program, and include how the innovative safety program or process was or can be shared with other UI community members to improve the culture of safety.
- Nominee's CV or Resume.
A selection committee comprised of leaders from within the Office of the Vice President for Research, Environmental Health & Safety, and UI faculty will be appointed to evaluate nominations.
Submission Process and Deadline
The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, February 2, 2021. Recipients will be announced in April.
CLICK HERE to begin the submission process. Click "Apply" and sign-in with your Hawk ID and password through the blue "University of Iowa Login" button. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-384-3332) in the OVPR well ahead of the deadline.
- A prize of $1,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized on a website, press release, social media, and in other virtual ways. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, winners will not be announced at an in-person event.