Up to two Student Innovation Awards will be given each year, to honor undergraduate and/or graduate students conducting research/scholarly innovation or new technology development that is recognized as highly original work and has led to intellectual property.
The top candidates are required to give a presentation of their research/scholarly innovation or the technology they’ve developed to the selection committee. This award process is conducted annually in partnership with the Office of Research and Economic Development, Research Council, University of Iowa Research Foundation, and John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center (JPEC).
Eligibility and Criteria
Eligible students (undergraduate or graduate) shall have completed a minimum of two years of academic work in the current program of study and are enrolled in spring 2017 courses.
More competitive nominees will address impact in more than one of the criteria listed below:
- An innovative research or scholarly idea or new technology concept that has led to intellectual property.
- Quality of research, scholarly, or technological innovation.
- Quality of a presentation to the selection committee. The top candidates are required to give a presentation of their research/scholarly innovation or the technology they’ve developed to the selection committee.
Nomination, Selection, and Announcement Process
- Nomination form and statement from nominator – NO MORE THAN 750 WORDS IN LENGTH – describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- A statement from the nominee – NO MORE THAN 750 WORDS IN LENGTH – describing their qualifications and accomplishments including a specific section on their intellectual property.
- Up to two confidential letters of support. Letters of support from various constituents, UI and non-UI (e.g., experts in the field), will have a greater impact. Limit to one page in length. Letters of support should address the criteria listed above.
- CV or resume (maximum 10 pages).
The deadline for submissions has been extended to February 10, 2017. Recipients will be announced in April.
To begin the submission process, click here and choose "OVPRED Student Innovator Award" in the list of open competitions. Sign-in with your Hawk ID and password. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-384-3332) or Marta Gomez (email@example.com / 319-384-1291) in the OVPRED well ahead of the deadline.
A selection committee will evaluate nominations with respect to the award criteria. The selection committee will comprise leaders from the Office of Research and Economic Development, the Research Council and JPEC.
Each recipient will receive:
- A prize of $1,000 and commemorative gift.
- Formal recognition at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony, which highlights research and innovation achievements.
- All recipients will be recognized on our Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.