The Distinguished Achievement in Arts and Humanities Research Award recognizes distinguished achievement in humanities scholarship and work in the creative, visual, and performing arts.
Eligibility and Criteria
All current tenure-track, research track or clinical faculty members with a 50 percent or greater appointment are eligible for nomination. Self-nominations are not allowed. Deans, DEOs, department chairs/heads, supervisors, and other senior faculty or staff may serve as nominators.
Competitive nominees will address impact in more than one of the criteria listed below:
- Superior scholarship as evidenced by highly cited, influential publications;
- Significant publication or creative work (composition, play, monograph, etc,);
- Receipt of distinguished awards from one's peers or professional societies;
- Presentation or exhibition of significant work in the creative, visual or performing arts; and/or
- Editorial board membership of a peer-reviewed journal; external peer recognition of scholarly or creative accomplishment.
Nomination and Selection Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, no more than 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to three confidential letters of endorsement. Letters of support from a variety of constituents, UI and non-UI (e.g., experts in the field), will have a greater impact. Letters of support should each be no more than one page in length and address the criteria listed above.
- Nominee's CV (up to 10 pages).
Late materials will not be accepted. A selection committee comprised of leaders from within the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR), Research Council, and UI faculty will be appointed to evaluate nominations.
Submission Process and Deadline
The deadline for submissions is 11:59 p.m.Tuesday, February 1, 2022. Recipients will be announced in April.
CLICK HERE to begin the submission process. Click "Apply" and sign-in with your Hawk ID and password through the blue "University of Iowa Login" button. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-384-3332) or Britt Ryan (email@example.com / 319-335-9575) in the OVPR well ahead of the deadline.
- A prize of $1,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized on a website, press release, social media, and in other virtual ways. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, winners will not be announced at an in-person event.