The Early Career Scholar of the Year award honors assistant professors in tenure-track, research-track or clinical-track at the University of Iowa who are currently involved in research, scholarship and/or creative activity and show promise of making a significant contribution to their field.
Eligibility and Criteria
All current assistant professors who are tenure-track, research-track or clinical-track with a 50 percent or greater appointment are eligible for these awards. Nominees must have no more than 4 years total of Postdoctoral and/or Fellowship experience.
More competitive nominees will address impact in more than one of the criteria listed below:
- Superior scholarship as evidenced by recent publications in prestigious journals;
- publication of significant book and/or receipt of a prestigious book prize;
- receipt of distinguished awards from one's peers, or professional societies;
- receipt of major external funding;
- consistent record of highly cited, influential publications;
- presentation or exhibition of significant work in the creative, visual or performing arts; and/or
- editorial board membership of a peer-reviewed journal; external peer recognition of scholarly accomplishment (e.g. best paper, best poster).
Nomination, Selection, and Announcement Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, NO MORE THAN 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to three confidential letters of endorsement [Letters of support from a variety of constituents, UI and non-UI (e.g., experts in the field), will have a greater impact]. Letters of support should each be no more than one page in length and address the criteria listed above.
- CV (up to 10 pages).
The deadline for submissions has been extended to February 10, 2017. Recipients will be announced in April.
To begin the submission process, click here and choose "OVPRED Early Career Scholar of the Year Award" in the list of open competitions. Sign-in with your Hawk ID and password. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (email@example.com / 319-384-3332) or Marta Gomez (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-384-1291) in the OVPRED well ahead of the deadline.
A selection committee will be appointed to evaluate nominations with respect to the award criteria. The selection committee will comprise leaders from within the Office of Research & Economic Development and Research Council.
Each recipient will receive:
- A prize of $1,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony that highlights research and innovation achievements.
- All recipients will be recognized on our Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.