The Graduate Research Excellence Awards honor students in terminal degree programs conducting research and scholarly activity that is recognized as highly original work and makes a significant contribution to the field. Eligible students shall have completed a minimum of two years of graduate work in the current program of study and doctoral programs must be post comp.
Top candidates in each broad discipline area are required to give a research presentation to the selection committee. This award process is conducted annually in partnership with the Research Council and the Graduate College.
1. Research accomplishments during the applicant’s current program of study,
2. Quality of research and scholarly activity, and
3. Quality of a research presentation to the selection committee. Top candidates in each broad discipline area are required to give a research presentation to the selection committee.
Three awards, one in each broad discipline area, will be made each year:
a. One in biology, life, mathematical and physical sciences;
b. One in fine arts and humanities; and
c. One in social sciences.
Nomination, Selection, and Announcement Process
- Nomination form and statement from the nominator - attach a brief description, NO MORE THAN 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- A statement from the nominee - NO MORE THAN 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to two confidential letters of endorsement [Letters of support from a variety of constituents, UI and non-UI (e.g., experts in the field), will have a greater impact]. Limited to one page in length. Letters of support should address the criteria listed above.
- CV (up to 10 pages).
The deadline for submissions has been extended to February 10, 2017. Recipients will be announced in April.
To begin the submission process, click here and choose "OVPRED Graduate Research Excellence Awards" in the list of open competitions. Sign-in with your Hawk ID and password. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-384-3332) or Marta Gomez (email@example.com / 319-384-1291) in the OVPRED well ahead of the deadline.
A selection committee will be appointed to evaluate nominations with respect to the award criteria. The selection committee will comprise leaders from within the Office of Research and Economic Development, the Research Council and the Graduate College.
Each recipient will receive:
- A prize of $1,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony that highlights research and innovation achievements.
- All recipients will be recognized on the Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.