The Graduate Research Excellence Awards honor students in terminal degree programs conducting research and scholarly activity that is recognized as highly original work and makes a significant contribution to the field. Eligible students shall have completed a minimum of two years of graduate work in the current program of study and doctoral students must be post comp.
This award process is conducted annually in partnership with the Research Council and the Graduate College.
- Research accomplishments during the applicant’s current program of study,
- Quality of research and scholarly activity, and
- Quality of a research presentation to the selection committee. Top candidates in each broad discipline area are required to give a research presentation to the selection committee.
Three awards, one in each broad discipline area, will be made each year:
a. One in biological, life, mathematical and physical sciences;
b. One in arts and humanities; and
c. One in social sciences.
Nomination and Selection Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, NO MORE THAN 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- A statement from the nominee - NO MORE THAN 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- One confidential letter of endorsement. The letter of endorsement is limited to one page in length and should address the criteria listed above.
- CV or Resume (up to 10 pages).
A selection committee comprised of leaders from within the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR), the Research Council and the Graduate College will be appointed to evaluate nominations.
Submission Process and Deadline
The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, February 5, 2019. Recipients will be announced in April.
To begin the submission process, click here. Click "Apply" and sign-in with your Hawk ID and password through the blue "University of Iowa Login" button. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-384-3332) in the OVPR well ahead of the deadline.
Each recipient will receive:
- A prize of $1,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony that highlights research and innovation achievements.
- All recipients will be recognized on the Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.