Leadership in Research Award
The Leadership in Research Award is a lifetime achievement award recognizing research and scholarly accomplishments over a career.
Eligibility and Criteria
All current tenure-track, research-track or clinical-track faculty members with a 50 percent or greater appointment are eligible for nomination. Self-nominations are not allowed. Deans, DEOs, department chairs/heads, supervisors, and other senior faculty or staff may serve as nominators.
Competitive nominees will address impact (over a career) in more than one of the criteria listed below:
- Superior scholarship as evidenced by a consistent record of publications in prestigious journals;
- Publication of significant book(s) and/or receipt of prestigious book prize(s);
- Receipt of distinguished awards from one's peers or professional societies;
- Consistent record of major external funding;
- Consistent record of highly cited, influential publications;
- Presentation or exhibition of significant work in the creative, visual or performing arts; and/or
- Editorial board membership of a peer-reviewed journal; external peer recognition of scholarly accomplishment (e.g. best paper, best poster).
Nomination and Selection Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, no more than 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to three confidential letters of endorsement. Letters of support from a variety of constituents, UI and non-UI (e.g., experts in the field), will have a greater impact. Letters of support should each be no more than one page in length and address the criteria listed above.
- Nominee's CV (up to 10 pages).
Late materials will not be accepted. A selection committee comprised of leaders from within the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR), the Research Council, and UI faculty will be appointed to evaluate nominations.
Submission Process and Deadline
The deadline for submissions is 11:59 p.m.Tuesday, February 7, 2023. Recipients will be announced in April.
CLICK HERE to begin the submission process. Click "Apply" and sign-in with your Hawk ID and password through the blue "University of Iowa Login" button. If you have problems or questions, contact Lauren Galliart (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the OVPR well ahead of the deadline.
- A prize of $1,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized via press release, social media, and in other virtual ways.