The purpose of the faculty Scholar of the Year Award is to celebrate nationally recognized recent achievement in outstanding research, scholarly and/or creative activities by tenure- and/or research-clinical-track faculty members within the previous 24 month period (February 2020 - February 2022).
Eligibility and Criteria
All current tenure-track, research-track or clinical-track faculty members with a 50 percent or greater appointment are eligible for nomination. Self-nominations are not allowed. Deans, DEOs, department chairs/heads, supervisors, and other senior faculty or staff may serve as nominators.
Competitive nominees will address impact during the past 24 months (February 2020 - February 2022) in more than one of the criteria listed here:
- Superior scholarship as evidenced by recent publications in prestigious journals;
- Recent publication of a significant book and/or receipt of a prestigious book prize;
- Recent receipt of distinguished awards from one's peers or professional societies;
- Receipt of major external funding;
- Presentation or exhibition of significant work in the creative, visual or performing arts; and/or
- Editorial board membership of a peer-reviewed journal; recent external peer recognition of scholarly accomplishment (e.g. best paper, best poster).
Nomination and Selection Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, no more than 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to three confidential letters of endorsement. Letters of support from a variety of constituents, UI and non-UI (e.g., experts in the field), will have a greater impact. Letters of support should each be no more than one page in length and address the criteria listed above.
- Nominee's CV (up to 10 pages).
Late materials will not be accepted. A selection committee comprised of leaders from within the Office of the Vice President for Research, Research Council, and UI faculty will be appointed to evaluate nominations.
Submission Process and Deadline
The deadline for submissions is 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, February 1, 2022. Recipients will be announced in April.
CLICK HERE to begin the submission process. Click "Apply" and sign-in with your Hawk ID and password through the blue "University of Iowa Login" button. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (email@example.com / 319-384-3332) or Britt Ryan (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-335-9575) in the OVPR well ahead of the deadline.
- A prize of $3,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized on a website, press release, social media, and in other virtual ways. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, winners will not be announced at an in-person event.