The purpose of the Scholar of the Year Award is to celebrate nationally-recognized recent achievement in outstanding research, scholarly and/or creative activities by tenure- and/or research-clinical-track faculty members within the previous 24 month period.
Eligibility and Criteria
All current tenure-track, research-track or clinical-track faculty members with a 50 percent or greater appointment are eligible for these awards.
More competitive nominees will address impact during the past 24 months in more than one of the criteria listed here:
- Superior scholarship as evidenced by recent publications in prestigious journals;
- publication of significant book and/or receipt of a prestigious book prize;
- receipt of distinguished awards from one's peers, or professional societies;
- receipt of major external funding;
- presentation or exhibition of significant work in the creative, visual or performing arts; and/or
- editorial board membership of a peer-reviewed journal; external peer recognition of scholarly accomplishment (e.g. best paper, best poster).
Nomination, Selection, and Announcement Process
- Letter of Nomination - Attach a brief description, NO MORE THAN 750 words in length, describing the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments.
- Up to three confidential letters of endorsement [Letters of support from a variety of constituents, UI and non-UI (e.g., experts in the field), will have a greater impact]. Letters of support should each be no more than one page in length and address the criteria listed above.
- CV (up to 10 pages).
The deadline for submissions has been extended to February 10, 2017. Recipients will be announced in April.
To begin the submission process, click here and choose "OVPRED Scholar of the Year Award" in the list of open competitions. Sign-in with your Hawk ID and password. If you have problems or questions, contact Cheryl Ridgeway (firstname.lastname@example.org / 319-384-3332) or Marta Gomez (email@example.com / 319-384-1291) in the OVPRED well ahead of the deadline.
A selection committee will be appointed to evaluate nominations with respect to the award criteria. The selection committee will comprise leaders from within the Office of Research & Economic Development and Research Council.
Each recipient will receive:
- A prize of $3,000 and a commemorative gift.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at the Celebrating Excellence: The University of Iowa Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony that highlights research and innovation achievements.
- All recipients will be recognized on our Dare to Discover - Research Awards & Recognition page to highlight their accomplishments.